Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Robbing of innocence

For many of you it is no secret that as a child I was molested by a family friend. It is something I have struggled with for a long time. I never knew why I felt so different from other people. I just wanted to fit in with everyone else and be 'normal'. As much as I tried to bottle it up it backfired on me when I was visiting Scotland with my boyfriend. I was crying hysterically. I had no idea what was wrong with me. But I did know that something was very wrong.

I called Kids Help Phone and found a counselor in the area. I know that in many ways she has saved my life. I continued with counseling until I went to College. After a series of very traumatic events. A car accident, my Dad dying and my Nan dying. I got worse. I never knew how rock bottom felt until then. Every single day I thought about killing myself. I missed my Dad and Nan so much and there was nothing I could do to feel better. Finally I decided it was time to take some action. I went to my family doctor and he prescribed me anti-depressants and I went back to counseling.

Its been months now since I have been completely off the medication. Of course everyone has their good and bad days. But I had to realize that just because I had a bad day didn't mean I had to end it. I am now attending group sessions and it has been one of the best decisions of my life. All of these women are so courageous. But really we all are because we are not victims no we are SURVIVORS! Which might sound a bit cliche but really its the truth.

I am sad to say that in a few short weeks these sessions are going to be over. I will definitely miss all of the ladies that have shared their stories and views. It has been great to find out that you are not alone.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Megan! First of all, I'd like to say 'woo me' for being the first commenter! WOO!
    Secondly, welcome to the blaaaaawghing community.

    Last, I'd like to commend you on your courage and the strength you must posess to be able to open up like this. It takes alot of guts, kid!

    I look forward to reading more and being part of your recovery, even just as a reader and a friend.

    Much love,

    -Ren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive alwasy admired youre strength Meg,
    You truly are an inspiration & such a kind person.

    I agree that you are not a victim, but a survivor and despite all these throw-downs, you are glowing and simply amazing!!

    Stay strong xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Megan, I did not know this, but I do believe that every time you share your story as gracefully as you have, your past gets a little bit less power over you. I'm really glad you found the support group, and it seems you're on the right track. I definitely wouldn't be here without a couple of great counselors and a few wonderful friends.

    I'm sorry that happened to you. You didn't deserve that kind of treatment. Thanks for making me laugh so much in class. :)

    ReplyDelete